OK, Do I Really Need A Realtor®?
Whether you’re considering buying or selling your house, I’m sure that you’ve had the thought, “Do I really need a Realtor®?” To be fair, this is a great question to ask yourself. Finding a Realtor® can be a daunting task unless you know someone (who knows someone). You could navigate to Zillow and go with the first agent you find, but how can you really know if they’ll be helpful or have your best interest in mind?
Sorry to break the news to you, but if you don’t do your research the agent you chose might not be the best fit for you and your needs. That’s not to say they’re a bad agent or you’re screwed. It just means that you need to make an informed decision! Think of finding a Realtor® like speed dating. You need to know as much about them in a short period of time before deciding if you want to move forward.
But, WHY do you need a Realtor®?
The truth is that you don’t NEED a Realtor® to complete the transaction. You can list your home and purchase a home without the help of a licensed agent. However, you might be doing yourself a disservice. Here are five reasons why you should consider using a Realtor®:
- This is probably the most expensive thing you will ever buy or sell in your life…don’t you want to make sure it’s done correctly and for the best possible deal? There is a lot of paperwork, negotiations and other things that are done behind the scenes. Having an agent means that you don’t have to worry about that! That is what they are being paid to do. Realtors®, even the newbies, have gone through classes and training and have the expertise of their Broker behind them, which means they know what they’re doing.
- Searching Power
- In a world where everything is available on the internet, you would be surprised to learn that not everything you see is accurate. Realtors® have access to the MLS (multiple listing service) which is more accurate than Zillow and Realtor.com! They also speak directly with the listing agent and can learn if their deal is rock solid or about to fall through. They can also hear about a coming soon listing before you.
- Real estate agents who have been in the game for a while tend to know EVERYONE. They know other agents, mortgage companies, title companies, inspectors – you name it. While they won’t tell you who’s the best and the worst, they will tell you who they’ve done the most business with…and that’s as good as gold! Agents who bring lots of work to all those mentioned above tend to have good fortune with getting things when they need them. That’s not to say everything will go smooth because no deal is perfect, but you might have an easier time with someone who is well connected.
- You’re the Boss
- At the end of the day, a Realtor® doesn’t get paid unless the deal goes through. So, they work hard to make sure they find you what you want and for the price you want. If you’re not happy, they’re not happy! It’s as simple as that. A Realtor® that works for you is constantly looking for ways to market, running comps, talking with other agents, and reaching out to contacts to help your deal go through. All their effort and negotiations are for your benefit so that you’ll be happy with the final result. A satisfied customer is worth way more than the check they earn (althought it definitely helps).
- No matter who they are or who they have to deal with, every Realtor® is held to a certain code of ethics. It’s their legal responsibility. A Realtor® who violates the code of ethics can lose their license, so they are very careful about what they do and say to make sure they are fulfilling their legal and moral requirements. That ethical Realtor® is who stands between you and your buyer/seller – that can’t be said for the buyers/sellers themselves operating without an agent.
At the end of the day, having a Realtor® by your side through the whole transaction will save you time, effort and maybe even some money! So, before you dive into the black hole of the real estate market, take some time to find an agent that will work for you. Set up some interviews and decide who is the best for the needs that you have. We have some knowledgable and accessible agents here in our office that would love the opportunity to chat with you!